- big toe
- tips of the fingers
- base of the thumb in the first CMC (carpometacarpophalangeal joint)
The wrists, elbows, and shoulders are typically not involved in generalized osteoarthritis. Older women are more affected by generalized osteoarthritis than any other group. Read more in What Is Generalized Osteoarthritis?
- Osteoarthritis Symptoms
- Early Osteoarthritis Symptoms
- Osteoarthritis Symptoms Can Occur in Any Joint
- Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
- When Should You Ask Your Doctor About Your Symptoms?
Photo by Sebastian Kaulitzki (iStockphoto)