1. Health

Ayurvedic Therapy - A Promising Treatment for Knee Osteoarthritis?

By November 2, 2008

No wonder patients get confused! When treating knee osteoarthritis, ayurvedic therapy may be safer and as effective as glucosamine or Celebrex. That claim is based on study results highlighted at the annual scientific meeting of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR). But it comes on the heels of a report published in the August 27, 2008 issue of JAMA that warned certain Ayurvedic products may contain harmful levels of metal, including lead, mercury, and arsenic.

There were 440 patients with knee osteoarthritis in the study that was presented at the ACR meeting. Two types of ayurvedic therapy (SGC & SGCG), Celebrex, and glucosamine were compared in the study. Over a 24-week period, patients were assessed for active pain, difficulty and function, and side effects of treatment. None of the groups experienced serious side effects and those taking ayurvedic therapy showed fewer side effects in general. Researchers concluded ayurvedic therapy was a safe and effective treatment alternative for patients with knee osteoarthritis -- but as always -- advised talking to your doctor before beginning any treatment.

Related Resources:

Join the Discussion:

Photo by Dmitry Rukhlenko (iStockphoto)

Comments
November 4, 2008 at 2:17 am
(1) Ayurvedic Therapy says:

Thanks Carol & Richard Eustice,

I read your blog about “Ayurvedic Therapy”, as you mentioned for knee osteoarthritis treatment.

Yeah Ayurvedic Treatment is really very safer and no side effect, i have used it for my knee problems, i feel its very very effective.

I am damn sure people will really like the information given in your blog…

Regards

February 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm
(2) Skippy says:

This article looks like a sermon to the choir! If you don’t already know what “…Two types of ayurvedic therapy (SG’C & SG’CG)…” is, this article certainly doesn’t enlighten. Is this a drug? Physical therapy? Massage? accupuncture? Later reference is to a “…product…”. People who already agree to the superiority of whatever this is “will really like the information given in your blog.”

December 16, 2009 at 7:00 am
(3) Ayurvedic Medicine says:

Ayurvedic Medicine is valuable to people of all ages because of the holistic nature and philosophy of treating the root cause of symptoms. It is sensible to perform some research and choose a therapist who is either a member of, or accredited by, an association or professional body. Ayurvedic practitioners are constrained to a code of ethics and process that finds out the therapy is carried out in a appropriate and safe environment.

August 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(4) Raj says:

Ayurveda’s major premise involves the symbiosis of mind, body and spirit. Any imbalance in this synthesis results in physical ailments. To maintain this harmony, Ayurveda believes in the treatment of not just the affected part, but the individual as a whole.

July 14, 2011 at 11:12 am
(5) dr rahul sharma says:

absolutely right…..ayurveda is the only therapy which has treatment of osteoarthritis..well my self dr rahul and i am an ayurvedic physician…i have just started practicing ayurveda and believe me i have treated more than 26 patients of osteo arthritis within 3 months…and i got all patients totally cured…..it was all because i used best medicines and oil from kerela ………ayurveda is best..shud follow it…….hey carol are you too an ayurvedic doctor??

November 27, 2011 at 3:30 am
(6) opensky says:

Don’t believe all those Ayurveda doctors. many of them are practicing Ayurveda purely out of greed and there is no total cure for this condition in Ayurveda. if anyone claims he can cure the “illness”, he is simply stating his ignorance. Ayurveda is really great for some illness but its effective is subjective. varies from person to person. I know people who suffer from osteo arthritis and have felt much better after Ayurveda treatment. I also know people ( my own mother for example) have not felt any improvement after been treated by various Ayurveda physicians for years….try it out for 4 to 5 months. if it doesn’t help you, don’t waste your money..

August 18, 2012 at 1:41 am
(7) Dr. Dinesh Sharma says:

Dear opensky,

This is what is the difference between Ayurveda and Allopathy. Ayurveda treatments can not be generalized as each and every human body is Unique in composition and physiology. For better understanding you must understand the concept of Vata, Pitta & Kapha. You will get your answer.

March 16, 2013 at 3:07 am
(8) Capt Vylal Prema Mohan says:

Dear sir,

I am a osteo arithritis patinent.I have pain in my knee and joint pain at my right side.I started Ayurvedic treatment by prescribing three ayurvedic medicines with some restriction and with some restrictions in food.I tried and I find it is useful and the cost of medicine is high and as per advise of my friends I went to ECHS and after meating a very good doctor at CHAF he prescribed some medicine.

There is vast opinion between Ayurvedic and allopathy medicine.It never tally and not compromised at all.

Now I feel that I should go to KOTTKAL ARYAVYDIA SALA located at Kerala and take opinion and treatment from them.So that I can find out the treatment what I had from ayurveda earlier is correct or not.

Definately ayurvedid treatment is without sny side effect. We should try the ayurvedic treatement and it is better if knee replacement and his replacement can be avoided.